Do you need a phone number of someone but only have their first and last name? Excel can help you get the job done quickly. You can easily pull up phone numbers with the right formulas and techniques – here’s how.
Pulling a Phone Number with a Known First and Last Name in Excel: Tips and Tricks
Tired of rifling through tons of info for one phone number? I faced the same issue until I found out about Excel! In this article, you’ll discover techniques and hacks to finding a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel. No more wasted hours in public databases or on social media sites! We’ll show you helpful tools and strategies that you can start using now to make data analysis quicker and better. We’ll look at how to use public records databases to search for phone numbers and how to find phone numbers through social profiles on different platforms.
Image credits: pixelatedworks.com by David Jones
Using Public Records Databases: How to Search for Phone Numbers
Hunting for a phone number can be a tough job. But, public records databases can make it easier. Here’s how to use them:
- Choose a database. Many are available, and some require payment.
- Put first and last name into the search bar.
- Filter results with location, if you can.
- Look through results until you find the number.
- Note any extra info, like address or email, to make sure the number is right.
Public records databases make searching for phone numbers simpler. However, don’t assume all info is accurate or recent. Double-check it with another source.
Did you know over 1300 public record databases exist in the US? Amazing how much data we can access from many sources.
Social Media Sites: Finding Phone Numbers through Profiles
We’ll cover finding phone numbers through social profiles next.
Social Media Sites: How to Find Phone Numbers through Social Profiles
Wondering how to find a phone number using social media? Here’s how to do it in 6 steps.
- Search the person’s name on Google and add “phone number” to your query.
- Look for any social media profiles with their name.
- Check each profile for a phone number in their bio or contact info.
- Search for the person’s name on Facebook, then see if they have a phone number under “Contact Information.”
- Follow the same process with LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.
- If you can’t find a number, try messaging or emailing them for their contact details.
It may take time, but worth it! My friend once lost his phone, and couldn’t remember a colleague’s number. He searched their name on LinkedIn and found their profile with their contact details and phone number.
Now, let’s look at another way to find numbers- Excel Hacks – using a known first and last name.
Excel Hacks: How to Pull a Phone Number with a Known First and Last Name
Do you need a phone number, but only have a first and last name in Excel? We’ve got you covered! Check out these helpful Excel hacks. First: the VLOOKUP Function. Great for searching databases. Next, the CONCATENATE function. This lets you join two text columns. Last: the IFERROR function. It helps you tackle errors quickly for phone numbers.
Image credits: pixelatedworks.com by David Arnold
VLOOKUP Function: How to Use It to Find Phone Numbers in Excel
You can use the VLOOKUP function in Excel to find a phone number with a known first and last name. This function looks through a range of cells and then gives a value from another column in the range. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Make a table with two columns: one for names and one for phone numbers.
- In the first row, enter headings (eg. “Name” and “Phone Number”).
- Type in the names and phone numbers in their columns. Make sure everything is spelt correctly, including area codes.
- In the cell you want the phone number for a name, type =VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,[range_lookup]). Replace the words with the cell reference or text string of the name you’re looking for, the range of your data, the column position of your phone number data, and leave [range_lookup] blank.
This is great for quickly finding contact details without going through tons of sheets.
Unfortunately, it won’t work if there are duplicates of names or if only parts of names are entered. To get around this, add extra info like locations or titles in personalized columns.
VLOOKUP is one of Excel’s most popular functions because it gets linked data directly, rather than computing formulas based on positions.
The next thing we’ll look at is the CONCATENATE Function, which combines first and last names for more precise lookup functionality.
CONCATENATE Function: How to Combine First and Last Names in Excel
The CONCATENATE Function is a great tool for merging data in Excel. It can be used to quickly generate a list of full names, without having to write out each name every time. Here are five simple steps to using this Function:
- Open a new Excel workbook and go to cell A1.
- Insert =CONCATENATE( and select the cell with the first name (e.g. A2).
- Put a comma after the first name, then pick the cell with the last name (e.g. B2) and close the bracket – ). Press enter.
- The full name should now show in cell A1. Drag the fill handle down or double-click it until all names are combined.
- If needed, add spaces or other characters between the parts of the name with open(” “).
Using CONCATENATE and IFERROR together is a powerful way to manage data. It could save you time when searching large datasets for specific info like phone numbers! Try out IFERROR Function for handling errors when pulling phone numbers.
IFERROR Function: How to Handle Errors When Pulling Phone Numbers
The IFERROR Function: How to Handle Errors When Pulling Phone Numbers in Excel is a useful tool. To use it properly, follow these 6 steps:
- Open your Excel sheet and find the column for displaying phone numbers.
- Type in “=IFERROR(” in the first cell of that column.
- Copy the formula for pulling phone numbers.
- Paste the copied formula after the existing one in your new column.
- Add a comma, then set an alternate response in quotes – like NA.
- You’re done!
When pulling phone numbers in Excel with names, errors may occur. IFERROR can help prevent confusion and wasted time. It can provide an alternate output instead of missing information or no number found. This way, data accuracy is ensured. Without it, lower-quality results and costly missteps could happen. We’ll soon discuss third-party services that can also help find missing phone numbers in large databases.
Third-Party Services: Alternative Ways to Find Phone Numbers in Excel
Do you want alternative ways to find phone numbers in Excel? Excel has lots of powerful tools, but not always the best platform for a large dataset. Let’s look at three methods using third-party services.
- Reverse phone lookup services let you search for a phone number with a person’s name.
- People search engines can help you find contact information for individuals in a certain area.
- Finally, data aggregator services pull phone numbers from multiple sources.
Image credits: pixelatedworks.com by James Arnold
Reverse Phone Lookup Services: How to Use Them to Find Phone Numbers
A reverse phone lookup service can help you if you need to find a phone number for someone. Here’s how to use it:
- Go to a reverse phone lookup website, like Truecaller, Whitepages, or Spokeo.
- Put the person’s name or phone number in the search bar.
- Click ‘Search’.
- See the search results and choose the one that matches your query.
These services give you landline and mobile phone numbers quickly. Plus, they might show extra info, like social media profiles and email addresses.
So, reverse phone lookup services save you time searching manually. However, they may not show accurate or current contact details.
Pro Tip: Before using a reverse phone lookup service, try it on yourself. Type your own name or phone number. If it’s wrong or outdated, try another service.
Now you know how to use a reverse phone lookup service. Let’s look at the next way to find phone numbers – using people search engines.
People Search Engine: How to Find Phone Numbers Using a People Finder
Do you want to use a people search engine to find phone numbers? Here are three simple steps:
- Pick a search engine website that provides phone number searches.
- Enter basic info about the person, like their name, location, or email address. This will help narrow down the results.
- Hit the ‘search’ button and wait for the algorithm.
Data Aggregator Services: How to Use Them to Pull Phone Numbers Efficiently
Do you need a phone number for someone? Data aggregator services can help! These services gather data from different sources, to give details like phone numbers. Here’s how to use them:
- Make an account with a data aggregator service. Intelius, Spokeo, or PeopleFinders are popular options.
- Enter search criteria.
- In seconds or minutes, the service will give you the person’s phone number, email address, and current address.
See? We’ve made a table to show the steps for Intelius.
|First Name: John||Phone Number: (555) 123-4567
Email Address: [email protected]
Address: 123 Main St., Anytown USA
|Last Name: Smith||Phone Number: (555) 987-6543
Email Address: [email protected]
Address: 456 Oak St., Anytown USA
Data aggregator services are especially helpful if the person has moved recently or has an unlisted phone number. Instead of manually searching records or social media, these tools do the job.
Remember: Data aggregator services aren’t perfect. The info might be out-of-date or wrong. Double-check before relying on it. Plus, many services require a subscription or payment for full access.
FAQs about Pulling A Phone Number With A Known First And Last Name In Excel
What is pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel?
Pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel is a process of finding a phone number associated with a specific person using their first and last name in an Excel spreadsheet.
How do you pull a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel?
You can pull a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel by using the VLOOKUP function. This function allows you to search for a specific value in a table and return a matching value in the same row. You will need to set up a table with the first and last names in one column and the corresponding phone numbers in another column.
What are the benefits of pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel?
The benefits of pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel include saving time and effort in manually looking up phone numbers, ensuring accuracy of the phone number associated with a specific person, and making it easier to maintain a database of contact information.
What are the possible challenges in pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel?
The possible challenges in pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel include inaccurate or incomplete data, variations in formatting or spelling of names, and discrepancies in phone number formats or area codes.
What are some tips for pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel?
Some tips for pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel include ensuring the consistency and accuracy of the data, using a standardized format for names and phone numbers, creating backups of the original data, and testing the results to verify their accuracy.
Can pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel be automated?
Yes, pulling a phone number with a known first and last name in Excel can be automated using macros or other automation tools. This can save time and effort in performing the task repeatedly, particularly for large datasets.
Nick Bilton is a British-American journalist, author, and coder. He is currently a special correspondent at Vanity Fair.